- Additional Information
- Peptide Formula
Vital 1.5 kCal Vanilla 1000ml , complete , balanced , peptide-based liquid.
Food for Special Medical Purposes, for use under medical supervision. Liquid enteral tube feed suitable for patients with malabsorption and/or feed intolerance.
Suitable as a sole source of nutrition or as a nutritional supplement for patients who cannot or will not eat sufficient quantities of everyday food and drink to meet their nutritional requirements.
Nutritionally complete for vitamins and minerals in 1000 ml (excluding electrolytes, calculated using the UK Reference Nutrient Intake for men aged 19-50 years).
Vital 1.5kcal can be prescribed on a FP10 (GP10 in Scotland) for patients with conditions resulting in malabsorption including:
• Disease-related malnutrition
• Short bowel syndrome
• Intractable malabsorption
• Bowel fistulae
• Pre-operative preparation for patients who are malnourished
• Not for parenteral (intravenous) use.
• Not intended for use in children unless recommended by a qualified healthcare professional.
• Not for use in galactosaemia.
• Suitable for people with diabetes provided that routine glucose checks are performed.
• In patients receiving some medications there may be a risk of drug nutrient interactions (e.g. warfarin and vitamin K). Careful prescribing and monitoring practices will serve to reduce the risk (please refer to pharmacist).
• Patients should not make any additions to the feed without consulting their pharmacist or dietitian.
• Many nutritional products contain sucrose and other sugars. It is important for patients who are taking supplements as sip feeds to observe good oral hygiene.
Directions for use
• Ready for use.
• Administer at room temperature for tube feeding.
• The volume/flow rate should be adjusted to meet the patient’s nutritional needs and tolerance. This product has a low viscosity and will pass down a fine nasogastric tube.
• A Flexitainer enteral nutrition container may be used if decanting is necessary .
• For gravity feeding, the use of a Flexiflo gravity gavage set is recommended.
• An Abbott enteral feeding pump may be used in conjunction with the Abbott enteral feeding system where a more accurately controlled delivery of feed is indicated. An ambulatory system is available.
Storage / Shelf Life
• Store unopened at room temperature and avoid prolonged exposure of the RTH container to light.
• Ready for use. Open immediately prior to use.
• Shake well before use.
• Once opened, cover and place in a refrigerator, discarding any unused feed after 24 hours.
Water, maltodextrin, whey protein hydrolysate (milk protein), medium chain triglyceride (MCT) vegetable oil, sucrose, hydrolysed sodium caseinate (milk protein), canola oil, flavouring, emulsifier: E472e, calcium carbonate, magnesium phosphate dibasic, potassium phosphate dibasic, potassium chloride, sodium citrate, stabilisers: E460, E407, E466, choline chloride, vitamin C, potassium citrate, L-carnitine, taurine, sweetener: sucralose, ferrous sulphate, zinc sulphate, vitamin E, niacinamide, manganese sulphate, calcium pantothenate, copper sulphate, vitamin A, vitamin B6, thiamin (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid, sodium molybdate, chromium chloride, sodium selenate, potassium iodide, vitamin K, biotin, vitamin D, vitamin B12.
Vital 1.5kCal is Gluten free
Vital 1.5kCal is Lactose free
Vital 1.5kCal is suitable for vegetarians
Vital 1.5kCal is not Milk free
What is different and what makes Vital 1.5kCal by Abbott Nutrition unique?
Vital 1.5kCal by Abbott Nutrition is a peptide based formulation and whey dominant. Peptide based formulas contain protein that is hydrolyzed or pre-digested into peptides of varying lengths including di- and tri-peptides, and amino acids. The protein sources in Vital 1.5kCal are whey hydrolysates and casein hydrolysates. Whey and casein are high quality proteins that are naturally found in combination, such as in breast milk and cow milk.
Whey Pepides are partially broken down proteins, which makes them easier to digest and absorb in the gut then whole proteins.
When compared with formulas containing only free amino acids or intact proteins, peptide-based formulas provide better absorption and tolerance.